Steven J. Renick was born and raised in Los Angeles and graduated from The Harvard School in North Hollywood in 1973. He received his AB degree from Dartmouth College in 1978 and his JD from the Boston University School of Law in 1981. He was admitted to the State Bar of California in 1981.
After working at small firms for two years, Mr. Renick opened his own practice, focusing on personal injury and family law matters. It was during this period that Mr. Renick developed his deep interest in legal research and writing and first began handling appeals. In 1990, he closed his practice in order to work full-time in that field, joining the law and motion department of one of Southern California’s largest medical malpractice defense firms. Mr. Renick became one of the supervisors in that department, overseeing the work of a number of other attorneys as well as personally handling many of the firm’s appellate matters. While at his previous firm, Mr. Renick served as a Judge Pro Tem in the West Orange County Municipal Court and was a member of the Appellate Law Committee of the Orange County Bar Association.
Mr. Renick joined Manning & Kass in December 1995 and currently leads the firm’s four person Supreme Court specialty focus within the Strategy, Writs, and Appeals Team. The firm’s Strategy, Writs, and Appeals Team, provides specialized legal support for the firm’s various other legal teams, with the goal of further enhancing the quality of legal representation provided to all of the firm’s clients. Mr. Renick is always available for consultation by the other attorneys at the firm, both as to issues that may be developing in the firm’s cases as well as to respond to more general legal questions directed to the firm by its clients.
Mr. Renick has concentrated on appellate law for 25 years, handling a wide range of cases in both the federal and the state courts, representing both plaintiffs and defendants. He has worked on cases involving civil rights claims, employment law, medical malpractice, administrative law, contract disputes, unfair competition, partnerships, real property, civil procedure, and criminal law. Mr. Renick has acted as lead counsel in more than 100 appellate matters, thirteen of which have resulted in published opinions. He has argued three cases in the California Supreme Court and has had two petitions for certiorari granted by the United States Supreme Court. He also briefed a third case on the merits at the U.S. Supreme Court. All six of these cases resulted in unanimous reversals in favor of the firm’s clients.
Mr. Renick has been certified as an appellate law specialist by the Board of Legal Specialization of the State Bar of California since August, 2000. He has served on the Appellate Law Advisory Commission to the Board of Legal Specialization, and currently serves on the State Bar’s Committee of Bar Examiners. He has also been named a 2009–2017 Super Lawyer.
- Manning & Kass Scores Big Win in Anti-SLAPP Case
- MKERT Healthcare Liability Team Wins Landmark Appeal Prohibiting Posthumous Conception without Deceased Donor's Consent
- Eighteen Manning & Kass Attorneys Named 2017 Super Lawyers and Super Lawyers Rising Stars
- Ninth Circuit En Banc Court Rules In Favor of Police
- Wrongful Death Claim Ends in Plaintiff's Surrender
- Anthony J. Ellrod and Steven J. Renick Covered in Metropolitan News Enterprise
- Twenty Manning & Kass Attorneys Named 2016 Super Lawyers and Super Lawyers Rising Stars
- Manning & Kass Team Achieves Dismissal in USA Water Polo Case
- Seven Los Angeles Attorneys Named 2016 Southern California Super Lawyers
- Manning & Kass Celebrates Los Angeles Business Journal's Corporate Counsel Awards
- Steven J. Renick Granted Petition for Review by the California Supreme Court
- Manning & Kass Attorneys Named as 2015 Southern California Super Lawyers
- Kevin H. Louth Obtains Reversal of $2.25 Million Judgment in the California Court of Appeal
- Steve Renick Quoted in "Supreme Court Says In-Home Caregiver Limited to Comp Recovery for Injuries from Patient", WorkCompCentral