Tony M. Sain is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Manning & Kass, where he practices on the Governmental Entity Defense Team defending public agencies and officers in civil rights actions and employment cases, as well as other clients in general litigation, including the defense of other public and private entity tort cases and entertainment-related matters. Mr. Sain has successfully defended our clients as a lead trial attorney in several jury and administrative trials on police/civil rights or employment cases, and he has also served as a pro bono prosecutor at trial for Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office.
Mr. Sain is a member of the California State Bar; he is also admitted to the Bar of the U.S. District Court in the Central District, Eastern District, Northern District, Southern District of California, and the Ninth Circuit. Mr. Sain is also a graduate of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), Los Angeles Chapter's Trial School and he is a member of its distinguished Side Bar program. He has also been named a Super Lawyers Rising Star every year since 2013. Mr. Sain is also the lead training partner for the Government Entity Defense Team.
Mr. Sain also serves as Chair of the Mentorship Committee of the Princeton Club of Southern California and as a Chair/Co-Chair of Princeton University’s Alumni Schools Committee for West Los Angeles.
Mr. Sain received his BA in public policy/management and international affairs from Princeton University in 1993, and his JD from Loyola Law School - Los Angeles in 2007. While obtaining his law degree, Mr. Sain earned several distinctions, including being named Best Advocate for California in the National Moot Court Competition; and serving as National Team Advocate for the Scott Moot Court Honors Board; as a member of the Williams Civil Rights Litigation Program; and as a judicial extern for the Honorable Magistrate Judge Andrew J. Wistrich, U.S. District Court, Central District of California.
Before starting his second career as a litigation attorney, Mr. Sain worked for more than a decade as a senior executive for a variety of mid-size corporations and non-profit organizations, including as an Executive Director of the YMCA. As an executive, Mr. Sain specialized in organizational overhauls for troubled operations, consumer and trade marketing, community relations and organization, and media relations.
When not devoting his to time to advocating for his clients, Mr. Sain enjoys horseback riding, weightlifting, rock climbing, amusement parks, and playing competitive beach volleyball.
- Tony M. Sain to Present at the 2020 Open Meetings and Open Records Digital Conference for the CLA
- Mannng & Kass Hosts Critical Incident Video Training
- Eugene P. Ramirez and Tony M. Sain Named 2019 Top Litigators and Trial Attorneys by the Los Angeles Business Journal
- Tony M. Sain and Trisha E. Newman Successfully Argued Before a Panel in The United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Tony Sain and Lynn Carpenter Win Another Jury Trial for Riverside County
- Tony M. Sain and Lynn L. Carpenter Win Civil Rights Case For Riverside County Sheriffs
- Police Officer Privileges Legal Update: Tony M. Sain Explains California’s Narrowing of Pitchess Confidentiality for Officer Records and Force Recordings
- California Supreme Court Rules in Favor of City of Gardena in Police Pursuit Immunity Case
- New Police Win In Ramirez v. City of Gardena Sets Up Split Decision in the Court of Appeal Districts Over Public Entities’ Immunity Under the Vehicle Code
- Eighteen Manning & Kass Attorneys Named 2017 Super Lawyers and Super Lawyers Rising Stars
- Clean Sweep for Manning & Kass Governmental Entity Liability Team in March
- Defense Verdict in Case of Skull Fracture of Unknown Origin
- Wrongful Death Claim Ends in Plaintiff's Surrender
- Defense Verdict in High Exposure Paralysis Case
- Twenty Manning & Kass Attorneys Named 2016 Super Lawyers and Super Lawyers Rising Stars
- Tony M. Sain Quoted in Daily Journal Article on SB 1286
- Manning & Kass Names Four New Partners in 2016
- Angela Powell and Tony Sain Participate in Lively Civil Rights Legal Panel
- Daily Journal Publishes Tony Sain Editorial
- The California Supreme Court Approves the Emerging Custodial Government Agency Exception to the Pitchess Procedural Requirements for Peace Officer Personnel Records
- Manning & Kass Celebrates 2015 Southern California Super Lawyer Rising Stars
- Angela Powell and Tony Sain on Cops, Cameras, and Race in America Legal Panel
- Manning & Kass Attorneys Named 2014 Rising Stars and Best of the Bar
- Gene Ramirez and Tony Sain at PARMA’s 40th Annual Conference for Risk Managers