Mildred K. O'Linn is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Manning & Kass, Ellrod, Ramirez, Trester LLP. Ms. O'Linn has an unparalleled background as an attorney and technical expert in peace officer civil liability, training and tactics and the defense of governmental entities. Ms. O'Linn was a police officer for eight years at the Kent State University Police Department. Subsequently, she served as the Legal and Technical Advisor for the Law Enforcement Television Network, Inc. (LETN).
In her 30 plus year legal career, Ms. O'Linn has been repeatedly recognized as a Southern California Super Lawyer by California Magazine and as one of the Top Women Attorneys in Southern California. In 2009 Ms. O'Linn was accepted as a member of the distinguished American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), an award only bestowed upon proven trial attorneys. In 2011 she was inducted into the Litigation Counsel of America and is a Senior Fellow, an invitation-only trial lawyer honorary society representing less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers.
Since coming to California in 1991, she has served the law enforcement community on a variety of committees and provided training to thousands of peace officers. In 1992 Ms. O'Linn served as a member of both the California POST Use of Force Committee and as a member of the California Peace Officers' Association committee to develop a model use of force policy. Between 1992 and 1995, Ms. O’Linn was a member of the Los Angeles Police Department's Use of Force Training Review Committee and served on the Los Angeles Police Department's Civilian Martial Arts Advisory Panel in development of the LAPD's arrest and control curriculum. She has served on numerous California POST committees including: Ethical Decision-Making; Officer Involved Shootings; Dog Encounters: Keeping Officers Safe Committee; Learning Domain 20: Use of Force; Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted; and the Mental Health Course Development Workshop. She also serves on the PoliceOne Editorial Advisory Board.
In 2012, Ms. O'Linn was retained to assist the City of Spokane Washington Use of Force Commission in reviewing the agencies use of force policies and training and their FTO program and then in 2015 served as a consultant in the City's response to the collaborative reform issues with the federal DOJ. She served on the Los Angeles County Chiefs of Police Public Outreach Committee and currently serves on the Legal Affairs Committee and the Professional Development Committee for the Major County Sheriffs of America. She is a member of the IACP, Legal Officer's Section, IAWP, PERF, CPOA, CAPTO and is a graduate of the Force Science Certification Course.
Ms. O'Linn has received numerous awards and acknowledgments for excellence in representation and for her contributions to the defense of the law enforcement community from various agencies. In 2005 she was named the Los Angeles County Deputy Sheriffs Association's recipient of the Award for Civilian Leadership. In December, 2006 Ms. O'Linn received a Meritorious Service Award from the City of Gretna, Louisiana Police Department for her assistance to law enforcement in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Most recently, Missy's work was acknowledged by the State of California as the recipient of the California POST Lifetime Achievement Award for Excellence in Law Enforcement Training. Additionally, she was inducted into Safariland Training Group's "Monadnock Hall of Fame" for her dedicated service to educating those who are tasked to protect others.
- California Supreme Court Rules in Favor of City of Gardena in Police Pursuit Immunity Case
- Manning & Kass Partner Explains Police Actions in Trader Joe’s Shooting to NBC LA
- Mildred K. O'Linn is Appointed to the PoliceOne Editorial Advisory Board
- Mildred K. O'Linn Talks to NBC News about Proposed Changes to the Law on Use of Force in California
- New Police Win In Ramirez v. City of Gardena Sets Up Split Decision in the Court of Appeal Districts Over Public Entities’ Immunity Under the Vehicle Code
- Clean Sweep for Manning & Kass Governmental Entity Liability Team in March
- Defense Verdict in Case of Skull Fracture of Unknown Origin
- Mildred K. O'Linn Contributes Chapter to Police Union Book
- Twenty Manning & Kass Attorneys Named 2016 Super Lawyers and Super Lawyers Rising Stars
- Mildred K. O'Linn to Receive Prestigious Training in Excellence Award
- Mildred K. O'Linn to be Entered Into The Monadnock Hall of Fame
- Mildred K. O'Linn to Receive POST Excellence in Training Lifetime Achievement Award for 2015
- Seven Los Angeles Attorneys Named 2016 Southern California Super Lawyers
- Los Angeles Partner Mildred K. O'Linn Quoted in Police One dot com article About Cops and Free Speech
- Mildred K. O'Linn to Discuss Training Liability Issues at the College of San Mateo
- Mildred K. O'Linn Editorial in Police Magazine: Cops are Not Ninjas
- Mildred K. O'Linn Appears on KPCC Panel, Generates Social Media Buzz
- Manning & Kass Defense Victory Makes Headlines and Garners Commendation
- Mildred K. O'Linn Discusses Police Defense "Battle of Perspective and Perception" in Daily Journal
- Mildred O'Linn Asked to Speak at Loyola Law School’s Journalist Law School
- Mildred O'Linn to Speak at San Mateo County Law Enforcement Training Managers Association Workshop
- Manning & Kass Attorneys Named as 2015 Southern California Super Lawyers
- Mildred O'Linn Interviewed on NPR about Eric Garner and Use of Neck Restraints
- Early Ambitions panning out at full-service Los Angeles Firm, The Daily Journal