Dennis B. Kass is a founding partner at Manning & Kass. He has received a number of honors for his trial skills, including:
• 1999 IASIU Southern California Chapter Defense Attorney of the Year;
• 2001 California Lawyer Attorney of the Year for Civil Litigation (CLAY Award);
• 2002 Loyola Trial Lawyer of the Year; and
• 2004–2009 and 2013–2017 Super Lawyer.
Mr. Kass has received other honors, in particular:
• The Governor’s Award for Service to the Community from Loyola Law School (2014); and
• An AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating.
He has advised many organizations in a key capacity, including:
• As current elected co-counsel for the IASIU national organization;
• As counsel to IASIU, Southern California Chapter, from 2011 to present; and
• As member of the CLM Fraud Committee.
Mr. Kass leads the firm’s Complex Litigation Team, which focuses on affirmative litigation cases involving insurance fraud, first and third party special investigation defense, high exposure and catastrophic personal injury matters, mass torts, transportation litigation and class action defense.
Mr. Kass is highly prominent and well-regarded in the area of insurance fraud litigation. His press credits include The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Daily Journal, and scores of other periodicals. Additionally, he frequently appears on television and radio for his role as lead counsel in numerous “whistleblower” or “qui tam” actions, where insurance companies have sued professionals, including attorneys and doctors, for their role in large fraud rings. Mr. Kass prevailed in the first jury trial under Insurance Code §1871.7, the “whistleblower law,” obtaining an $8.2 million jury verdict against the defendant doctors. Mr. Kass was also lead counsel on the first state “whistleblower” action, which was based upon civil claims, and has prevailed at trial on other affirmative cases against those submitting false insurance claims.
Mr. Kass has been called upon by various insurance companies to assist in the prosecution of complex and sophisticated fraud rings. He regularly lectures across the country and trains professionals in a variety of subject areas involving insurance fraud defense, affirmative litigation issues, and insurance coverage issues.
Mr. Kass has been called as an expert witness on behalf of the insurance industry, and has testified before the Judiciary and Insurance Committees in the California State Assembly, as well as before the State Senate Insurance Committee, on an insurance code statute that he assisted in drafting. Mr. Kass has been called upon to testify before the State Senate Insurance Committee on other insurance issues. He has also helped draft proposed anti-fraud legislation in other States, outside of California.
Mr. Kass is extensively experienced in the area of transportation litigation. He represents many trucking and other transportation clients, and serves as monitoring counsel for high exposure matters. His team also specializes in the handling of class action defense and defending unfair business practice claims (Business and Professions Code §17200).
Mr. Kass has served as both an arbitrator and as a mediator since 1993. He graduated from UCLA in 1984 with a joint degree in political science and psychology. He received his JD from Loyola Law School in 1988. He has served as a mentor for law students for many years. Outside of law, Mr. Kass is an avid runner, who has raced in numerous 10k runs and 1/2 marathons, and the Los Angeles Marathon.
Selected Published Articles
Combating Premium Fraud: Is a Qui Tam Action Possible?
Suing for Money When You Haven't Been Damaged?
New Case Settles Dispute Over California’s Insurance Fraud Law
Depositions with an Ulterior Motive
Offensive Weapons in the War Against Insurance Fraud
Blowing the Whistle on Insurance Fraud
To Scan or Not to Scan: The Move to Paperless Claims Files
Revealing Policy Limits Pre-Litigation
Best Claims Practices for Settling Wrongful Death Actions Pre-litigation—Where Did Those Heirs Come From?
How Do We Settle a Wrongful Death Case Post Moody?
Creative Ways to Combat Insurance Fraud—Going on the Offensive
Negotiating Outrageous Hospital Liens—What do we Really Owe?
- Dennis B. Kass Announced as Speaker for the 2017 CLM Annual Conference.
- Dennis Kass Wins Public Service Attorney of the Year Award from IASIU
- Twenty Manning & Kass Attorneys Named 2016 Super Lawyers and Super Lawyers Rising Stars
- Dennis Kass's Appellate Win Helps Clarify California Anti-Fraud Statute
- Manning & Kass Celebrates 22nd Anniversary
- Reversal in Medical Fraud Case
- Seven Los Angeles Attorneys Named 2016 Southern California Super Lawyers
- Manning & Kass Celebrates 11 Year Partnership with The Harmonie Group
- Founding Partner Dennis Kass Featured in SIU Today Magazine
- Manning & Kass Attorneys Named as 2015 Southern California Super Lawyers
- "Big Law, Big Lease" Covers Manning & Kass Lease Resigning, Los Angeles Business Journal
- Dennis Kass at 2014 IASIU Conference
- Early Ambitions panning out at full-service Los Angeles Firm, The Daily Journal