Angela M. Powell is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Manning & Kass. As a member of the firm's Governmental Entity Liability Team, Ms. Powell represents and counsels governmental entities, public entities and individual police officers in civil rights actions. She has tried more than 60 cases in her 20-year career and has established herself as a tenacious attorney with a proven ability to obtain favorable results for her clients.
Ms. Powell began her career as a Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney, where she prosecuted hundreds of violent crimes, including robbery, kidnapping and capital murder. After leaving the District Attorney's office, Ms. Powell was a successful plaintiff’s attorney in a boutique Beverly Hills law firm, where she represented employees in sexual harassment and discrimination litigation.
However, her dedication and commitment to public service led her to return to representing governmental and public entities —this time as a civil defense attorney. Ms. Powell has represented and counseled law enforcement clients in civil rights litigation and has also represented management in employment and general litigation. She is a strong and effective advocate for her clients both inside and outside the courtroom, often sitting on panels and participating in community forums.
Whether drafting an answer to a complaint, propounding and responding to discovery, taking and defending depositions, or preparing for and conducting a jury trial, Ms. Powell performs each task with the utmost care for her clients’ needs and a keen attention to detail. As a former plaintiff’s attorney, Ms. Powell can quickly assess the strengths and weaknesses in her opponent’s case and is able to form an effective strategy to either resolve the case or take the matter to trial.
Ms. Powell received her Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from Pepperdine University and went on to receive her Juris Doctorate from the Pepperdine University School of Law. Ms. Powell is a member of the California State Bar and is also admitted to the Bar of the United States District Court in the Central and Eastern District of California.
- Police Team Wins Reversal at Ninth Circuit in Excessive Force Case
- Mannng & Kass Hosts Critical Incident Video Training
- Manning & Kass Hosts Diversity Mixer with Pepperdine Law
- Lou Pappas and Angela Powell Win Defense Verdict in Elder Abuse/Wrongful Death Trial
- Manning & Kass Celebrates Los Angeles Business Journal's Corporate Counsel Awards
- Angela Powell and Tony Sain Participate in Lively Civil Rights Legal Panel
- Angela Powell and Tony Sain on Cops, Cameras, and Race in America Legal Panel
- Angela Powell Serves as Panelist at California Association of Black Lawyers Conference